|1. Mix the flour and baking powder together in a large bowl.
2. Cut the butter into the flour to form a mixture resembling course meal. You can do this with your hands by rubbing the flour into the butter. Alternatively, you can do this in a cusinart with the steel blade. [For the cusinart method - use butter that is cold, place flour and baking powder in mixer bowl and pulse a few times to combine. Cut butter into 1/4" cubes. Then add butter to mixer. Give the mixture about 5, full-second pulses, or until the mixture has a coarse mealy-type consistency. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl.]
3. Add the sugar to the flour mixture and combine. Add the egg and combine until you have a dough that holds together. If you need more liquid you can add some milk.
4. Add the currants and combine.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/4" thick and cut into circles with a 2" cookie cutter.
6. Grill the cakes on a lightly greased griddle, fliiping to brown on both sides. Cool on a rack, then serve with Rose-Hip Jam.